We invite all residents of the Lithgow LGA to be involved and have their say on the proposed Transport Infrastructure Program in the Draft 2023/24 Operational Plan.
Copies of the Draft Operational Plan can be viewed online at http://ourplaceourfuture.lithgow.com/ipr/community-engagement/, at the Council Administration Centre or the Libraries – Lithgow, Wallerawang and Portland.
Did you know…?
The Lithgow Local Government area totals 4,567 square kilometres, extending from the Capertee and Wolgan Valleys in the north, Little Hartley, Kanimbla and Megalong in the east, Tarana in the south and Meadow Flat in the west. Within this area the Council is responsible for 975km of roads, 48 bridges and 279km of kerb & gutter.
Current research establishes that funding maintenance at a rate of $50,000 per kilometre over the life of a road extends the life of that asset from 10 to 15 years to over 30 years. BUT if this maintenance funding is not provided, the life of a road can decline, and more significant repair will cost approximately $1.2 million per kilometre.
This is why Council has actively sought grant-funding opportunities to increase our revenue to provide quality infrastructure and work towards closing our transport maintenance backlog.
During 2023/24 council proposes to spend $42 million on transport infrastructure. Should Council`s Special Rate Variation application be approved, an additional $3 million transport asset maintenance and renewal program will be included in the draft Operational Plan.
Projects carried forward from the 2022/23 Operational Plan
- Renewal of Wolgan Road, Lidsdale from Ian Holt Drive to Maddox Lane Repair/renewal of Saville and Purcell Streets, Portland.
- Repair and renew the road pavement of Coalbrook, Geordie and Wear Streets, Lithgow (total length of approximately 1400 lineal metres).
New Projects 2023/24
- Continuation of the Pothole Repair Program
- Line marking – various locations
- Kerb & gutter renewal program – various locations
- Reconstruct/upgrade regional, high-priority road assets under the Regional Roads Safety Improvements program (program to be determined).
- Re-gravel and seal Peach Tree Road, Megalong Valley.
- Reseal and remediation of sections of pavement – Megalong Place, Kanimbla
- Re-gravel 3.5 kilometres of Jerrys Meadow Road, Sodwalls
- Re-sheeting Anarel Road, Sodwalls with road base and improving the drainage of the road.
- Reseal 400 metres of road pavement on Amiens Street, Lithgow from Rabaul Street to Lemnos Street.
- Resurface Bridge Street, Lithgow from Mort Street to Pau Street.
- Renewal of Atkinson Street and Statement Gully Road, Lithgow from Willes Street to the boundary with the National Parks (subject to external funding approval)
- Replacement of Red Hill Road Bridge, Palmers Oaky and Charles Street Bridge Rydal under the Fixing Country Bridges Round 2).
- Undertake feasibility analysis and detailed design for the replacement of the Geordie Street Causeway with a single span bridge.
- Construction of a detour and repair/construction of the Glen Davis Causeway subject to grant funding approval).
- Undertake studies for the construction of a new permanent access to Wolgan Valley. A multi-year project funded under the State & Federal Governments Natural Disaster Recovery Arrangement Program.
If you would like to know more about the projects listed above view the Transport Infrastructure program in Council’s 2023/24 Operational Plan visit at www.ourplaceourfuture.lithgow.com/ipr/community-engagement/
The Draft 2023/24 Operational Plan will be on exhibition until midnight on Wednesday, 24 May. Following this, all submissions will be collated and reported to the June meeting of Council for consideration.