Lithgow City Council Councillors will be laying wreaths at cenotaphs on behalf of the community on 25 April following the announcement by the Lithgow RSL Sub Branch that ANZAC Day commemoration services in Lithgow have been cancelled.
“The Council offered support to the RSL in terms of making these events Covid-safe, but we understand their apprehension behind not proceeding.” said the Mayor, Councillor Ray Thompson.
“It is unfortunate that COVID continues to impact and disrupt our communities, however Council will proceed with plans to lay wreaths at cenotaphs in the Lithgow Local Government Area.” said the Mayor, Councillor Ray Thompson.
“There are a number of alternative ways to appropriately commemorate ANZAC Day 2021 and for the community to show their support,” continued the Mayor.
Alternative ways to commemorate ANZAC Day 2021 may include the following:
- Record yourself reciting the ode or sharing a message of support for veterans;
- Light up the dawn (driveway tribute at 6 a.m. or 11 a.m.);
- Tune into live commemorative services;
- Reach out to a mate who might be alone; and
- Donate to the ANZAC Appeal online.