Traffic flow and pedestrian safety upgrade works will commence on Barton Avenue, Wallerawang on 18 February 2019.
As part of Lithgow City Council’s 2018/19 capital works program, it has been identified that traffic flow upgrades are required on Barton Avenue, Wallerawang in order to improve vehicular traffic flow and increase the safety of pedestrians in the vicinity of the Wallerawang Rail Overbridge.
To this effect, the following scope of works will be commence 18 February 2019 and conclude by 4 March 2019:
• Installation of a pedestrian refuge and coloured kerb ramps on Barton Avenue, adjacent to the existing bus shelter near the Bowling Club;
• Installation of new LED street lighting overhead of the pedestrian refuge to facilitate safe, all-hours use of the refuge;
• Amendment of guardrail positioning on the Wallerawang Rail Overbridge to improve vehicular sight distance;
• Construction of approximately 200lm of concrete footpath to tie the western bridge footpath to access from Tweedie Street and Pipers Flat Road;
• Realignment of kerb and gutter to allow sufficient space for the footpath installation; and
• Amended line marking at the intersection of Pipers Flat Road and Main Street, Wallerawang to improve traffic flow, sight distance and delineation.
These works have been identified as a requirement in line with extensive consultation with members of the Wallerawang community. While traffic conditions will change in the short term during construction, works have been scheduled to be completed within two weeks of commencement in an attempt to minimise disruption to the community.
Residents are urged to note that traffic conditions may change in these areas. Please exhibit caution and patience while travelling through the area.