Flooding Assistance

Storm & Flood Assistance Information

Council has developed a guide that is available to those affected by the recent flooding.

Flood Recovery Updates

Register to receive updates relating to the recovery from recent flood events in Lithgow

Council news

Lithgow Storm Event – Disaster Assistance Update

There are a number of supports available to individuals and communities impacted by the devastating rainfall and flooding event on 11 January 2022. Lithgow City Council has compiled a resource to assist you to access these supports. This resource is a living document on Council’s website and will be updated as needed. For emergency help in a flood, call the NSW State Emergency Service on 132 500. Where to get assistance with flood relief For general information on disaster assistance...

read more

Lithgow Severe Weather Event – Disaster Assistance Available

A range of disaster assistance measures are now available for the Lithgow LGA following the devastating heavy rainfall and flooding on 11 January 2022. Assistance is now available for business owners and residents affected, including financial support, concessional loans and freight subsidies. The activation of this assistance will provide businesses and homes inundated with support they need to recover and may include:      Help for eligible people whose homes or...

read more

Lithgow Storm Event – Register for Flood Recovery Updates and Support

Lithgow City Council is urging businesses and residents impacted by the storm event on 11 January 2022 to register with Council. As the clean up of the storm event on 11 January 2022 continues, Council is here to help people and businesses impacted by the severe storms and floods.  Anyone impacted is being asked to register their details with Council to receive updates on the flood recovery and receive personalised information of programs and services available. Registrations can be made...

read more

Lithgow Storm Event – beware of health and safety risks in flood clean up

Lithgow City Council is urging residents to stay vigilant in the clean-up of the storm event on 11 January 2022. Many people are eager to clean-up their properties once water levels recede, however Lithgow City Council is urging all affected community members to please wait for the 'all clear' from emergency services agencies before going into an affected area, and to ask the authorities if you can salvage items from your house. Do not wade or drive through flooded roads or waterways and look...

read more

Lithgow pulls together in massive storm event

This afternoon Lithgow experienced a massive downpour of rain over a short duration. The most heavily affected area was around Main Street and George Coates Drive and through Hermitage Flat. Long term residents in the locality have described it has one of the heaviest downpours that they have ever seen.   Waterways were flooded and in some areas overflowing. The stormwater lines were also overloaded and some sewer manholes were lifted because of stormwater inflows. Roads, buildings and...

read more

Disaster Assistance Extended

Disaster assistance is now available in 18 additional local government areas following severe storms and flooding last month.

The additional LGAs are Bourke, Coonamble, Dubbo, Glen Innes Severn, Kyogle, Lithgow, Liverpool Plains, Lockhart, Muswellbrook, Narromine, Orange, Parkes, Singleton, Snowy Monaro, Snowy Valleys, Tamworth, Walgett and Warren.

These areas are now included in addition to the initial declaration for the local government areas of Tenterfield, Forbes, Bathurst, Blue Mountains, Cowra, Lachlan, Moree, Blayney, Brewarrina, Broken Hill, Cabonne, Cobar, Gilgandra, Gunnedah, Gwydir, Narrabri, Port Macquarie Hastings, Upper Hunter, Warrumbungle and Weddin.

Assistance is being provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).

Assistance available under the DRFA may include:

  • Help for eligible people whose homes or belongings have been damaged (eligibility criteria apply)
  • Support for affected local councils to help with the costs of cleaning up and restoring damaged essential public assets
  • Concessional interest rate loans for small businesses, primary producers and non-profit organisations
  • Freight subsidies for primary producers, and
  • Grants to eligible non-profit organisations.

For information on personal hardship and distress assistance, contact Service NSW on 13 77 88 or online at www.service.nsw.gov.au

To apply for a concessional loan or grant, contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593 or visit www.raa.nsw.gov.au

Information on disaster assistance can be found on the Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website at www.disasterassist.gov.au

Help for storm & flood affected landholders & communities

If you find yourself in a life-threatening situation, dial 000. If you require assistance due to flood or storm damage, please phone the NSW SES on 132 500. Do not drive through or enter flood waters. Roads may have been damaged severely, debris may have been deposited anywhere and flood waters can carry diseases and pathogens. 

Please see below for information and links for help and financial assistance for those who have been affected. Please feel free to pass this on onto anyone you know who may have been impacted.

This page is the best way for you to be aware of new information on the recovery. If you would like to receive information on the recovery support as it progresses, please register with the Community Recovery Officer Rachel Nicoll at Rachel.Nicoll@Lithgow.nsw.gov.au or phone 0419 100 085 to help you.


Road closures & travel advice. For up to date information on the latest road closures and real-time traffic conditions, https://www.livetraffic.com/

Insurances. If you have insurance, contact your insurer for advice on the actions you should take as soon as possible after flooding. The Insurance Council of Australia can also provide advice on lodging a claim, click https://disasters.org.au/ or call 1800 734 621 anytime. Also, the Legal Aid NSW Disaster Assistance Hotline is available to help with insurance claims and any associated legal problems that may arise, call 1800 801 529 or https://disasterhelp.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/.

Current declarations
A list of all Local Government Areas with current declarations as a result of flooding can be found

For Mental Health Support 24hours/7 days you can call: Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636 or the NSW Mental Health Line on 1800 011 511.

For assistance from Telstra with diversions, data and reconnection support, call 1800 888 888

Financial Assistance

Disaster Recovery Payment: $1,000 for adults and $400 for children
The Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off, non-means tests payment of $1,000 for adults and $400 for children, who have been seriously injured, lost their homes or whose homes have been directly damaged, or the immediate family members of a person who has lost their life, as a direct result of the storms and floods. https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/help-emergency to find out if you are eligible, or phone Services Australia on 180 22 66.

Disaster Recovery Allowance: short-term income support for 13 weeks
The Disaster Recovery Allowance provides a short-term income support payment to assist individuals whose income has been affected as a direct result of the storms and floods, for up to 13 weeks. https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/help-emergency or phone Services Australia on 1180 22 66.

If you have a small business you can call the Business Concierge at Service NSW on 13 77 88 or visit https://www.service.nsw.gov.au
Farm Household Allowance
The Farm Household Allowance program provides assistance to farming families experiencing financial hardship, no matter the cause of that hardship. The program provides eligible farmers and their partners with a package of assistance that includes:
– up to four years of fortnightly income support (in every 10-year period)
– ancillary allowances such as Pharmaceutical Allowance, Telephone Allowance, Rent Assistance and Remote Area Allowance
– a professional financial assessment of the farm business (worth up to $1,500)
– funding to help develop skills, access training and pay for professional advice (up to $10,000 and can now include reasonable travel and accommodation to undertake training)
– regular support of a case manager.
For further information, https://www.agriculture.gov.au/ag-farm-food/drought/assistance/farm-household-allowance

Disaster Relief Grant
The Disaster Relief Grant helps people to recover from the effects of a disaster and re-establish a basic standard of living. It is not provided to replace insurance or compensate for losses. You may be eligible for financial support if:
– Your home (primary place of residence) was damaged by a natural disaster
– You do not have insurance for the damage
– You are a low-income earner with limited financial resources
https://www.emergency.nsw.gov.au/Documents/factsheets/Factsheet%20Disaster%20relief%20Grant.pdf or phone Resilience NSW on 13 77 88 and ask about the Disaster Relief Grant.


Rural Assistance Authority Natural Disaster Assistance
For disaster relief loans and natural disaster transport subsidy, https://www.raa.nsw.gov.au/disaster-assistance.

Other Financial Assistance:
For information on all available disaster assistance, please contact the Disaster Customer Care Service at Service NSW on 13 77 88 or https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/floods.

Please note, a number of these measures have eligibility requirements.

Animals and Livestock

Emergency assistance for fodder or livestock support. For help with the provision of emergency fodder, animal assessment, veterinary assistance, stock euthanasia and disposal, livestock feeding and management advice and care of animals in evacuation centres, call the Agriculture and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647 or https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/animals-and-livestock

Missing or stranded stock. Register with the Agriculture and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647 and consider contacting your local council, local veterinary clinics, animal welfare or rescue groups, microchip registry, and check social media sources such as local community noticeboards.

Damage survey

Primary producers and agricultural landholders affected by the floods are asked to complete the DPI’s natural disaster damage survey, the information collected is used to determine the scale and severity of the impact and what assistance and resources are required where. Surveys can be submitted via phone or computer. Ag industry representatives can fill this form out on behalf of farmers, with their consent. Visit https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/climate-and-emergencies/emergency/community/primary-industries-natural-disaster-damage-survey


Helping wildlife after floods
Native wildlife may have been heavily impacted by the floods, either through injury, death or habitat destruction. Disorientated, stressed and/or injured, animals should be monitored, remove threats such as pet, vehicles and children, note the exact location and problem and contact a wildlife rescue group, such as WIRES. Visit https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/566296/Helping-wildlife-after-floods-and-fires.pdf for more information.


Donations – Official donation channel open – storms and flooding: GIVIT

To help people affected by the severe storms and flooding across New South Wales, generous Australians are encouraged to donate money, items, skills and services online at www.GIVIT.org.au  to donate.

Fact Sheets

Storms and floods can cause extensive damage to your home, contents and other assets. Recovering is a gradual process, however there are a number of fact sheets containing useful tips and practical information to help the assessment and clean-up for your circumstances.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this page is based on knowledge and understanding at the time of writing. However, because of advances in knowledge, users are reminded of the need to ensure that the information upon which they rely is up to date and to check the currency of the information with the appropriate officer of Lithgow City Council.