1. Home
  2. Animals
  3. Livestock


As a stock owner, you are responsible to safeguard against your stock straying on public roads. As such, all owners of livestock must ensure they are aware of the following points:

  • Ensure your boundary fences are stock proof. Regularly maintain your fences and attend to repairs immediately. The Dividing Fences Act 1991 provides information regarding liability for fencing work.
  • It is an offence to cause or permit an animal to be unattended in a public place under the Impounding Act 1993, unless the person establishes that they took reasonable precautions to prevent the animal from being unattended.
  • The Biosecurity Act 2015 outlines you have an obligation to, when dealing with biosecurity matters or a carrier, take measures to prevent, minimise or eliminate the risks of exposure to pests and/or disease. Stock can create a biosecurity risk if they are allowed to stray and you may be committing an offence under this legislation if your stock wander outside of your property.

Did you know?

  • An animal is considered ‘impounded’ as soon as it is taken into possession by an impounding officer.
  • You may be forced to pay costs associated with impounding your animal.
  • Under certain circumstances, your animal can be destroyed, and you may be forced to pay for the costs incurred.
  • Your animal may be sold by Council.
  • If your stock stray onto a public road and are a contributing factor to a motor vehicle accident, you may be charged with a criminal offence.

Should you find livestock roaming in a dangerous place please contact Council on 02 6354 9999. If outside of business hours, contact the Police.

Injured Livestock

In you encounter injured livestock, please contact the nearest veterinarian.

If the animal is deceased, contact Council to arrange collection of the animal.

Droving and Grazing of Livestock

Livestock on roads presents a high risk to the public, so livestock owners need to be vigilant when grazing or moving stock on or along the roadside.

For information on roadside grazing, the droving of livestock or to obtain a permit, please contact Central Tablelands Local Land Services on 02 6350 7800 or visit their website at www.lls.nsw.gov.au/regions/central-tablelands