Annual Household Chemical Cleanout
Clean out your household chemicals the right way!
Council holds an annual household cleanout event for the safe disposal of household chemicals.
Please note the new location this year.
This year the Household Chemical CleanOut will be held as follows:
Date: Sunday, 3 September 2023
Time: 9am – 12pm
Location: Resource Recovery Centre
Lithgow Solid Waste Facility,
68 Geordie Street, Lithgow.
The following household chemicals and items are accepted in household quantities:
- Acids and alkalis
- Ammonia-based cleaners
- Cooking oils
- Floor care products
- household cleaners & solvents
- Pesticides, herbicides & poisons
- Pool chemicals & hobby chemicals
- Motor fuels and oils
- Car & household batteries
- Fluorescent globes and tubes
- Smoke detectors
- Paint and paint-related products
- Gas bottles
- Fire extinguishers
Please note: Household quantities are 20kg or 20L of a single item, except for paint which will be accepted in 20L containers up to a maximum of 100 litres.
Remember when coming to the Household Chemical CleanOut:
- Handle and transport chemicals carefully.
- Never mix chemicals as this may produce dangerous reactions.
- Keep all chemicals in their original containers whenever possible.
- Seal all containers and make sure containers are clearly labelled.
- If you are unsure about the contents of a container, label the container ‘unknown chemical’.
- When transporting chemicals make sure containers holding liquids are securely wrapped in newspaper, placed in sturdy plastic bags and the bags are placed in plastic buckets or trays.
- Keep household chemicals away from passengers, for example, by placing them in the boot of your car.
Please click on the link below to see the flyer with information on what is accepted at the Household Chemical CleanOut.